The winter school holidays are coming up, and it's best to be prepared! Keep the kids from bouncing off the walls inside and get out there.
DOC asked Kiwi children to put together a list of things they love to do in nature. DOC listened to all their ideas and created a list of the top things the kids love doing.
1. Cook on a camp fire
2. Discover beach shells
3. Explore on wheels (bike, scooter, skateboard)
4. Spot sealife - rockpools are great!
5. Get creative with sand
6. Roll down a really big hill
7. Splash in puddles
8. Create a home for wildlife
9. Have fun with sticks
10. Scavenger hunts
11. Fly a kite - great for windy days!
12. Building an outdoor den.
13. Make friends with bugs
14. Helping plants to grow - get them gardening early.
15. Outdoor hide and seek
17. Watch a bird
18. Taking photos of nature
19. Explore a stream
20. Playing in the mud - sorry parents!
Here's just a few ideas to get the kids outdoors, even if it can be cold, wearing the right clothes will make it a non-issue. Have fun!